[Digikam-users] Colours, digikam and firefox

Alastair Burt burt at dfki.de
Mon Nov 23 13:07:03 GMT 2009

When I have a photo fresh from my camera in JPEG format, the photo looks
the same in digikam and firefox. When I open the photo in digikam's
editor, showfoto, carry out *no edting*, and ask the editor to "save as"
another JPEG file, the situation is quite different. Digikam, gwenview
and image magick's display all show me something that looks just like
the original version. But firefox and gimp -- both GTK-based programs, I
note-- show me a photo with a heavy blue tinge. This is also true if I
save the original file in PNG format.

I am perplexed as to why photos have different colours in digikam and
firefox. Currently, my suspicion lies with the handling of colour
management. Getting the image magick display program to output info on
the files, I see one difference between the original and the "saved as"
JPEG version is that the saved version has "Profile-icc sRGB". Is this
being handled differently in GTK-based programs? And is there a way for
me to be more sure that what I see in digikam bears some resemblance to
what it will look like in people's browsers?

I have just experienced this phenomenon with the following two JPEG
files on kubuntu jaunty with digikam 0.10.0 and firefox 3.5.5, but I
have seen the same with other photos and other versions of kubuntu,
digikam and firefox.

  original:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4127187151_b5e291f2b8_o_d.jpg
<http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4127187151_b5e291f2b8_o_d.jpg>