[Digikam-users] Recursive tags

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:06:14 GMT 2009

What do you know.  Yesterday I search for this subject, couldn't find it
(different search terms), joined gmane, posted, and before my post hits, there
are two threads on the subject.

I've been doing more thought since on how tags should work.

I agree with the previous poster that the default behaviour should be to include
children.  However an option to not include children needs to be present.  This
may be a preference setting in how people choose to set up digikam. Although the
present one of having it as a toggle is pretty good.
(NOT mentioned in the documentation that I could find.)

What I haven't figured out yet is a good way to choose between 'and' and
'or' and 'not' for filters.

I come back from a trip with a gazillion pix.  Later I want a particular one,
but can't remember if we were in Germany or France at the time.  So how do I set
up a filter for (winery or chateau) and (France or Germany)

Similarly in the left side view in album view, I would expect each folder to
recursively show its contents.

Situation.  Like a previous poster, I tend to organize by YYYY/MM/ then may have
special subject folders underneath that representing an event.

A year from now, I remember that I have a beautiful picture of a single yellow
birch leaf floating on a dark pond with a water strider skating by.

I know I tagged it pond, but now I have to click on each folder in turn, rather
than click on the top level.

Or if I know I shot it last year, I can click 2008
.