[Digikam-users] Digikam file management

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Thu Jul 30 14:36:07 BST 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 11:45:15 Markus Spring wrote:
> Mikolaj Machowski schrieb:
> >> 3 cases:
> >> * burn a cd - impossible from tags only
> >> * create an album with for example Jalbum
> >
> > In those two cases definitely should be fixed in digiKam handling of tags
> > and not by introducing non-portable, hackish feature.
>
> I would not use the word "hackish" for a major feature of unix file
> systems. Talking about hard links, I see it these a rather intelligent way
> to save space while providing the same file at different locations.
> symlinks are a bit more difficult to handle but still work perfectly at the
> basis of our operating system. That their implementation in Windows is
> broken by design is not a problem of the symlinks.

For me it is "hackish" if requires completely different approach for the same
functionality when on different but equally supported platforms.

> I am not shure if the approach to do everything from inside digikam is
> really a good one. Unix grew on the principle of having small dedicated
> tools that could be stacked. I do not see why this should not be valid any
> more.

That is why - for a long time - I am asking for Actions system.

> > BTW - don't know how exactly JAblum works but if it can accept list of
> > files from command line you can use "Open with..." menu.
>
> No, as far as I know Jalbum works with its own file-open dialog.

Well, for me  this is JAlbum problem. Works on *nix - should provide
traditional way of working on *nix. Command-line with list of files.

m.