[Digikam-users] Digikam file management

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Wed Jul 29 21:27:17 BST 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 17:36:44 stefan at binaervarianz.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a not-yet digikam user. There are some things about digikam which
> I just can't get from the websites feature list. As building on OSX is
> a bit time consuming, I'd like to ask about them here first.
>
> As I tend to use my photos in other applications too, I need to have
> them neatly organised on the filesystem. All tags, categories and
> albums are nice features inside digicam, but how does this translate
> to the 'outside'?
>
> Does a move/copy inside digicam reflect on the filesystem?
Yes.
> Does a (auto-)rename reflect on the filesystem?
Yes.
> Can I copy the EXIF dates onto the file dates?
Not yet.
> Does Digikam keep track of multiple copys of the same file and does it
> use symlinks to reduce disk space?
No (symlinks aren't portable).
> Can Digikam handle photos on external media?
Yes..
> Like with still
> displaying a thumbnail and info, but asking for the hdd/dvd/cd for the
> actual image file?
... and 'I don't know'. There are all necessary fundamentals (recent move to
thumbnails database) but I am not sure if this feature was finalized.

> Bonus: Can it save Albums created by e.g. tag search as file system
> folders?
Not automatically: create virtual album, select all, context menu, "New album
from selection".

m.