[Digikam-users] Panasonic DMC-TZ5

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun Jul 19 15:25:29 BST 2009

On Sunday 19 July 2009, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza wrote:
> I understand your point but I simply have another one: I've got my wife use
> digikam and she's happy with this. And she did that for several years now.
> If I tell her now, well, we have got a new camera but you'll have to fiddle
> around and remove that tiny card and put it - well, next issue, my PC has
> no SD-card slot at all - see my problem?

What can I say?   My wife has been using DK for 7 years now, and when I got
her the TMZ5  about 8 months ago...   and I saw once again yet another non-
standard USB cable (her Nikon Coolpix also used a mini-usb but even that was
more standard), I gave her a card reader (they are cheap) and showed her how
to put the SD card into it.   She is no expert, but didn't have a problem with
it.

I agree, in a perfect world, things should work, but even in M$, things don't
often work and we must find a way around that.

I also think that teaching her to format the SD card in the camera would be
one way to solve this problem and maybe the best way, even if things work.  I
have sometimes seen CF cards and others develop formatting problems after many
downloads and deletions under linux....   and so I now do my downloads...  put
the cards back in the camera, and format the cards in the camera as a method
of deleting the downloaded pictures.  Have not had a problem since.

Just my two cents.