[Digikam-users] Non-RAW NEF support

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Sat Dec 26 09:28:44 GMT 2009

With the thread about embed JPEG in RAW files, I test the command line to
see property of Embed files in this kind of file :

For one created from a TIFF (this TIFF was created from a JPG, but I don't
think it's changing something), the exiv2 -pp myfile.nef give this :

Preview 1: image/tiff, 320x212 pixels, 203520 octets
Preview 2: image/jpeg, 2048x1360 pixels, 1650457 octets
Preview 3: image/jpeg, 2048x1360 pixels, 1186804 octets

I extract the preview in files and determine which one corresponds to
thumbnail (preview 1 but it's not so hard find), to full preview of
modified version (preview 2), Embed original file (preview 3 apparently,
but at this step, I find ugly to JPEG compress on more time originally
TIFF file... but it's a CaptureNX matter ! :) )

I just test with the JPEG embed in RAW I provide here and it's the same
thing...

So I don't know if Digkam can recognize this kind of nef file, but, if it
can, it would be great to use the preview 2 to view the file when we click
on this kind of pictures.

But it seems it's already what Digikam does for classic Raw files modified
by captureNX wich only have thumbnail (preview 1) and jpeg preview at full
resolution (preview 2)

For NEF files out of the "box" (camera) it's different, there's three
embed files one smaller tiff thumbnail (preview 1 - 160x120 instead of
320x214), one very medium jpeg preview (preview 2 - 570x375) probably use
to display on the camera screen and a full size jpeg preview (preview 3).

So I don't know what it could be do.

Thanks

Nicolas

--