[Digikam-users] tags: wrong IPTC and XMP information

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Tue Aug 25 19:40:17 BST 2009

Leonardo Canducci píše v Po 24. 08. 2009 v 21:34 +0200:
> It still uses "/" in XMP in the "tag list" field but not in IPTC. I'd
> really like hierarchy to be consisten among apps. F-spot and geeqie
> detect tag but hierarchy is lost.

This is a matter of preference, some may prefer to have keywords w/o
hierarchy in general purpose metadata (like IPTC).

Anyway, I do not think it is wise to tag images with several apps in
parallel. Not all of them will update IPTC or XMP (tiff, adobe, ...)
keywords the same way as digiKam does and you may actually get a mess in
tags sooner or later.

> What about the sync problem? Tags are didn't match XMP info until I
> clicked sync with db in album menu. Could it be because I'm running
> digikam in a gnome desktop? Should I take care about syncing db every
> time I run digikam? It seems strange.

I think that digiKam sync's images' metadata only on some operations
(like assigning a new tag), while it does not on others (like renaming
existing tag, moving tag in the hierarchy). The reason may be that
sync'ing on the latter operations would lead to high disk activity,
possibly comparable to what happens when you sync the complete database
manually.

regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz