[Digikam-users] Digikam 1.0.0-beta3 in Debian with KDE4.3 - rebuild required

Tim Jenness tim.jenness at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:36:59 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:33 AM, David Klasinc <bigwhale at lubica.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 August 2009 23:04:28 David Klasinc wrote:
>
> > Strange I had 0.10.0 installed and there were no images. So I rebuilt
> .deb
> > packages and installed them. Then images appeared in albums.
> >
> > Now I compiled 1.0.0-beta3 from source and images are gone again.
> >
> > I am using Ubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3 packages from kubuntu-ppa.
>
> I hate to reply to myself, but ...
>
> digikam, if built from source, will use /usr/local for installation prefix.
> This will break it and you won't get to see any images in your folders.
>
> To fix the problem use:
>
> rm CMakeCache.txt
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde-config --prefix`
>
> Thanks to @cryogenic for the tip. :)

Hang on, so with KDE4.3 digikam is now *required* to be installed alongside
all the other KDE apps? It's no longer possible to have a private
build/install? I do not want to install the betas from source over the top
of the standard OS version (which is installed using the OS package system)
but I do want to test them.  I've upgraded to 4.3 and all my images have
disappeared. I'm not happy. Can you expand your answer explaining why this
is required now and if there is any plan to fix it? (last thing I want to do
is revert to v0.10.0). I've verified that digikam now ignores new files in
the album directories as well as the old.

Building the svn version doesn't fix anything.

Tim