[Digikam-users] Managing collections among various computers/media types

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at volny.cz
Mon Aug 3 22:55:40 BST 2009

Hello,

is there a recommended way how to manage a single collection of images
on various computers, while the images are rsync'ed between local
hard-drive and, say, a portable usb-drive?

The usage example is: I have all images on a local hard drive of my home
computer. While travelling, I would like to organize my images in the
spare-time. Hence I copy _some_ albums to a portable usb-drive and use
it with my notebook. Once back home, I just rsync the images back to the
local drive. (I save all metadata to JPEGs.)

The problem is that even when digiKam is running on local computer
during the update of local files from the external drive, the tags in
the database are not updated. Also, menu Album / Sync database does not
work. The tags are visible only in Metadata properties. (I assume the
reason is that the image already has a record in the database and the
synchronisation is a one-way only.)

The only thing which seems to work at least partially is to use "load
metadata from image to database" in right-hand side bar (under "More")
button. But this requires to know, which albums have been updated (so
that the images can be selected) and there is a bug that if the image
has tags, which do not exist yet in digiKam database, then these are not
imported.

I assume a similar scenario would be a recovery from the backup.

Any ideas?

regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz