[Digikam-users] just an idea - what do you think?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Wed Apr 15 20:14:15 BST 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 20:49:53, Sherwood Botsford wrote:
> I've heard of other photo-editors that work this way. (IMatch on
> windows? ACDC?)  On screen you work with a reduced resolution copy or
> a tile from the original.
> The actions are then run by a separate process running at reduced priority.
>
> I've actually submitted a bug/wish on this for a slightly different
> context:  tagging many photos.
>
> Most applications don't take advantage of multiple cores very well.
> Adobe Photoshop is one of the few.  Suppose that Digikam on startup
> snooped and found how many cores you had, then prepared n-1 background
> process threads, so that one core would run digikam user interface,
> and n-1 processes would work to keep up.  (I think they would be idle
> a lot of the time, or blocked waiting for disk IO)
>
> But if writing a 44 MB png causes a wait long enough to light a
> cigarette, you are doing something wrong.  It shouldn't take that
> long.

Well, i'd say it takes approx. a minute: a loooong time when working with
computers... what could I do wrong - apart from lighting the cigarette? I
crop a picture, click on the "next picture"-icon and say yes to "save
changes?" and wait...

My computer is about 5 yrs old, but it has a calibrated monitor and 5 huge
HD's..., running openSuse 10.3, KDE 3.5, digikam 9.3.

regards

Daniel

PS: Untill now I used digikam 10.0 only for some tests for my CR2's [it looks
great, but it's kde4 and that makes it even slower] -  but I am not really
happy with the results from raw files, so i confess that right now and untill
I find the time to do deeper tests I use Canon's software in a virtualbox
with win XP to convert the raw files and then go on with digiKam. But thats
another topic...)

erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com
Madagascar special: http://www.fotograf-basel.ch/madagascar/