[Digikam-users] just an idea - what do you think?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:53:46 BST 2009

2009/4/15 Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com>:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009 20:49:53, Sherwood Botsford wrote:
>> I've heard of other photo-editors that work this way. (IMatch on
>> windows? ACDC?)  On screen you work with a reduced resolution copy or
>> a tile from the original.
>> The actions are then run by a separate process running at reduced priority.
>>
>> I've actually submitted a bug/wish on this for a slightly different
>> context:  tagging many photos.
>>
>> Most applications don't take advantage of multiple cores very well.
>> Adobe Photoshop is one of the few.  Suppose that Digikam on startup
>> snooped and found how many cores you had, then prepared n-1 background
>> process threads, so that one core would run digikam user interface,
>> and n-1 processes would work to keep up.  (I think they would be idle
>> a lot of the time, or blocked waiting for disk IO)
>>
>> But if writing a 44 MB png causes a wait long enough to light a
>> cigarette, you are doing something wrong.  It shouldn't take that
>> long.
>
> Well, i'd say it takes approx. a minute: a loooong time when working with
> computers... what could I do wrong - apart from lighting the cigarette? I
> crop a picture, click on the "next picture"-icon and say yes to "save
> changes?" and wait...
>
> My computer is about 5 yrs old, but it has a calibrated monitor and 5 huge
> HD's..., running openSuse 10.3, KDE 3.5, digikam 9.3.
>
> regards
>
> Daniel
>
> PS: Untill now I used digikam 10.0 only for some tests for my CR2's [it looks
> great, but it's kde4 and that makes it even slower] -  but I am not really
> happy with the results from raw files, so i confess that right now and untill
> I find the time to do deeper tests I use Canon's software in a virtualbox
> with win XP to convert the raw files and then go on with digiKam. But thats
> another topic...)

But RAW import topic is important for me.

Do you use Raw Import tool for digiKam image editor ? With it, you can
set-up a lots of adjustments during demosaicing and as
post-processing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/3162004701/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/3246694827/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/3404494476/sizes/o/