[Digikam-users] just an idea - what do you think?

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 19:49:53 BST 2009

I've heard of other photo-editors that work this way. (IMatch on
windows? ACDC?)  On screen you work with a reduced resolution copy or
a tile from the original.
The actions are then run by a separate process running at reduced priority.

I've actually submitted a bug/wish on this for a slightly different
context:  tagging many photos.

Most applications don't take advantage of multiple cores very well.
Adobe Photoshop is one of the few.  Suppose that Digikam on startup
snooped and found how many cores you had, then prepared n-1 background
process threads, so that one core would run digikam user interface,
and n-1 processes would work to keep up.  (I think they would be idle
a lot of the time, or blocked waiting for disk IO)

But if writing a 44 MB png causes a wait long enough to light a
cigarette, you are doing something wrong.  It shouldn't take that
long.

--
Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests