[Digikam-users] DigiKam won't open from desktop menu

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sun Sep 21 20:44:56 BST 2008

Hi Charles,

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Charles Morel wrote:

> Sorry Amd, I have no idea where or how to check for output for those
> commands (codes?) I don't know even what you mean by output. This stuff is
> like learning a foreign language.
>
> So far, in every forum and web site tutorial for Linux, I feel like a first
> grade student trying to understand a PHD's explanation of Einstein's theory
> of Relativity.  This is a humbling experience for me, since I'm usually the
> one my relatives call for help with doing something on their PC with
> Windows. Now I know how they feel...LOL

No problem!
To do what I suggested, you need to start a so called
terminal window into which you can type commands.
I am not sure what is provided on your distribution,
for example it might be called `konsole` or `xterm` in one
of the menus available via the GUI.
There, for example,  you would type (or copy-and-paste: "use the
left-mouse to mark the text by dragging and paste the marked text using
the middle mouse button")
  ls -l /usr/lib/libexiv*

In the same way you can copy-and-paste the output of this command
to the email for reply.

I hope this helps a bit, if not, maybe David Aldred
can give more distribution specific comments.

Best, Arnd