[Digikam-users] DigiKam won't open from desktop menu

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Sep 21 22:56:17 BST 2008

On Sunday 21 Sep 2008, Arnd Baecker wrote:

> I hope this helps a bit, if not, maybe David Aldred
> can give more distribution specific comments.

Hi, Charles

Here are specifics as to how to do this on the One, even from 'basic desktop
mode' (the way it was originally set up).

Go to 'My Documents' on the front page menu

From the 'File' menu, select 'Terminal'

At the prompt in the terminal window, type 'ls -l /usr/lib/libexiv* '

Stuff will come up on the screen.   Highlight it, and on the Edit menu
select 'Copy'.

Paste into a reply to this mailing list using whatever mail software you're
using.

Now the same again, but type in 'ldd /usr/bin/digikam'

If you're stuck, do mail me off-list.

Over time, with Linux, the command line becomes more your friend than a
threat; you may not need to use it very often, but its extremely powerful
when you do use it!   The information you get will tell us whether the One
has libexiv (things starting 'lib' are libraries which programs can call
upon) installed where Digikam wants it, and what libraries Digikam is finding
where.   (Arnd, correct me if that's not right!)

[Arnd, for your information, the One runs on an OEM-modified version of Linpus
Lite, which is derived from Fedora 8.   Some of the modifications are
downright weird - like rewriting /etc/hosts file from startup scripts on
every boot, for example - so we can't assume anything which works in Fedora 8
will necessarily work on the One, though it seems most things do.   It does a
good job of driving its hardware (no other Linux yet supports everything
fully, though people are working on it), though, so many people are likely to
stick with this "distro"; working out how to get Digikam working on it will
be helpful].

--
David Aldred