[Digikam-users] Olympus Camedia C-480 Zoom camera and Digikam 0.9.2-final

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 18 06:21:49 GMT 2008

Stephen Constantinou wrote:

> Once detected and added to the list, I press Camera > Olympus C-370Z.
> However the error message is "Error failed to list files in /".  I
> retested on the Mandriva using the same camera and lead and it worked.
>
> As a result of the camera connecting to the laptop a new icon called
> "USB MAss Storage Interface", appears on the desktop.
> If I click this dolphin opens and reports an error: "Could not read file
>   Error writing to the port".

I posted my problem to the gphoto-users mailing list as suggested by Gilles
Caulier. There, I got a useful hint from Marcus Meissner; see:

http://tinyurl.com/2lqda7

for details.

> Is it possible to solve this problem.

This is what I did:

1. I commented out lines like:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="07b4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0109", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"

in /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libgphoto2.rules

The script below can be used for this:
--------
#!/usr/bin/perl -i.bak -pl
# OlympusModifyUdevRules
# Suggested by Marcus Meissner <meissner at suse.de>
# on the gphoto-user mailing list
# at http://tinyurl.com/2lqda7
#
# Invoke as
#
# sudo ./OlympusModifyUdevRules /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libgphoto2.rules
#
#
use warnings;
use strict;
m/07b4/ and m/0109/ and s/$_/# $_/;
--------

FYI, the two magic numbers above refer to:

07b4  Olympus Optical Co., Ltd
0109  C-370Z/D-535Z/X-450

and very likely activate sierra mode before USB mass storage can assume
ownership. Removing those lines will likely allow USB mass storage to seize control.

2. Connect camera to PC and select PC mode on camera for connection.

3. You should see two icons on your desktop; at least one of them should work
with DigiKam.

> Thanks and wait to hear

Please let me know if this works for you.

Chandra