[Digikam-users] Dark 16 bit RAW decoding

Paul Waldo paul at waldoware.com
Fri Jan 25 16:00:53 GMT 2008

I stumbled across a discussion of dark RAW conversions in the FAQ.  Apparently
Digikam cannot use the manufacturer-supplied camera profile, yet UFRaw can.
This puzzles me, since they both are just front ends to dcraw...

My manufacturer-supplied camera profile works great in UFRaw, with gamma set
to 0.45.  When I use the same profile with Digikam, I get a dark image.

So, I tried to take the FAQ's advice.  I created a profile by photographing an
IT8 target and using lprof to create a profile.  When I use this new profile
for Digikam RAW conversion, I get an image that is even darker than when I
used the manufacturer-supplied camera profile! :-O

I'm sure that someone out there has gotten 16-bit decoding of Canon raw images
to work well.  Any hints?  Thanks in advance!

Paul