[Digikam-users] Dark 16 bit RAW decoding

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:03:20 GMT 2008

Am Friday 25 January 2008 schrieb Paul Waldo:
> I stumbled across a discussion of dark RAW conversions in the FAQ.
> Apparently Digikam cannot use the manufacturer-supplied camera profile, yet
> UFRaw can. This puzzles me, since they both are just front ends to dcraw...
>
> My manufacturer-supplied camera profile works great in UFRaw, with gamma
> set to 0.45.  When I use the same profile with Digikam, I get a dark image.
>
> So, I tried to take the FAQ's advice.  I created a profile by photographing
> an IT8 target and using lprof to create a profile.  When I use this new
> profile for Digikam RAW conversion, I get an image that is even darker than
> when I used the manufacturer-supplied camera profile! :-O
>
> I'm sure that someone out there has gotten 16-bit decoding of Canon raw
> images to work well.  Any hints?  Thanks in advance!
>
> Paul

As I understand it, Canon profiles that come with the camera lack tone mapping
and gamma correction parameters. digiKam does not touch these properties
during raw conversion, but Ufraw does. They have a whole lot of code to
supplement dcraw in the conversion process. One day dcraw will hopefully do
it as it does it already for 8 bit, or we'll integrate the ufraw code.

On the other hand Bibblepro and selfmade lprof profiles work well with digiKam
in my experience since they have tone mapping included, images come out
normally bright.

Gerhard