[Digikam-users] Dark 16 bit RAW decoding

Paul Waldo paul at waldoware.com
Wed Jan 16 15:30:47 GMT 2008

Thanks for the reply, Jakob.  Comments below...

Jakob Østergaard Hegelund wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Paul Waldo wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I try to edit a RAW image, it is very dark.  Yes, I did RTFM; I
>> have color management enabled :-)
>>
>> I'm running digikam 0.9.2-final on KDE 3.5.8
>> Here are my digikam settings:
>>
>> Color Management
>> ------------------------------
>> Enable Color Management: on
>> Launch Color Management plugin with RAW files: on
>> Use color managed view: on
>> Color profiles selected for Monitor, Workspace (Adobe RGB), Input,
>> Soft Proof
>> Black point compensation: off
>> Rendering Intent: perceptual
>>

> My guess would be that you're using the wrong profile.
>
> I had a *lot* of problems with this, but with the right profile for the
> camera (and none for the monitor as it's sort-of close to sRGB which I
> also use as workspace), everything works.

I'm using the same profiles that work great in UFRaw.  That got me to
thinking about the differences.  When I convert using my profile in
UFRaw, I set the gamma to 0.45 and linearity to 0.02.  I see no way to
do this in Digikam...

>> RAW Decoding
>> --------------------------
>> 16 bit color depth: on
>> Interpolate RGB as four colors: off
>> Use camera white balance: on
>> Automatic color balance: on
>>
>> Thanks for any insights!
>>

>> Paul
>>
>> PS
>> Is there any way to select a specific color balance when converting
>> RAW?  Camera WB works most of the time, but sometimes I need a manual
>> WB, such as when photographing with a grey card.
>>

> The RAW converter uses the cammera supplied WB, which means, if you set
> the custom WB on the camera when you use grey card (select the grey
> card image for custom WB before shooting the real photos), the correct
> WB will be applied automatically during conversion.
>
> At least this is how it works in 0.9.2 with my EOS 350D.
>
> For actual WB adjustments later on, use the WB adjust tool in the
> editor.

Ah, OK.  I had not seen that before.  FWIW, I tried setting gamma here,
but it had no effect.  The only thing I could do was the the EV
Compensation way up (3 EV).  In order to do a manual WB with the picker,
I had to guess where to click because the image was so dark!