[Digikam-users] Dark 16 bit RAW decoding

Jakob Østergaard Hegelund joe at evalesco.com
Wed Jan 16 13:18:39 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Paul Waldo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I try to edit a RAW image, it is very dark.  Yes, I did RTFM; I
> have color management enabled :-)
>
> I'm running digikam 0.9.2-final on KDE 3.5.8
> Here are my digikam settings:
>
> Color Management
> ------------------------------
> Enable Color Management: on
> Launch Color Management plugin with RAW files: on
> Use color managed view: on
> Color profiles selected for Monitor, Workspace (Adobe RGB), Input,
> Soft Proof
> Black point compensation: off
> Rendering Intent: perceptual

My guess would be that you're using the wrong profile.

I had a *lot* of problems with this, but with the right profile for the
camera (and none for the monitor as it's sort-of close to sRGB which I
also use as workspace), everything works.

> RAW Decoding
> --------------------------
> 16 bit color depth: on
> Interpolate RGB as four colors: off
> Use camera white balance: on
> Automatic color balance: on
>
> Thanks for any insights!
>

> Paul
>
> PS
> Is there any way to select a specific color balance when converting
> RAW?  Camera WB works most of the time, but sometimes I need a manual
> WB, such as when photographing with a grey card.

The RAW converter uses the cammera supplied WB, which means, if you set
the custom WB on the camera when you use grey card (select the grey
card image for custom WB before shooting the real photos), the correct
WB will be applied automatically during conversion.

At least this is how it works in 0.9.2 with my EOS 350D.

For actual WB adjustments later on, use the WB adjust tool in the
editor.

--
Jakob Østergaard Hegelund