[Digikam-users] Digikam not playing video

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Jan 5 15:16:49 GMT 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, cotcot wrote:

> Bugzilla from arnd.baecker at web.de wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, cotcot wrote:
> >
> >> I am running digikam 0.9.2 in ubuntu gytsy with the kipi plugins.
> >> When i click on a icon of a video (mpeg, avi, mov ..) i get the message
> >> 'no
> >> media player available'.
> >> What is wrong ?
> >> I cannot find in the configuration option any tool to point to a player
> >> for
> >> these mime types. Or does this only work for a KDE environment ?
> >
> > You might have to use
> >   kcontrol
> > on the command line to specify a player for the KDE environment.
> > Your problem should not be specific to digikam,
> > i.e., for example for konquerer you should get the same.
> > (Note that I don't use KDE myself, but FVWM, and here
> > it works ...;-)
> >
> > HTH, Arnd

[...]

> Thanks for replying.
> I installed kcontrol. I guess that the player is to be specified under
> KDEcomponents --> File associations --> video ? I have put there on top for
> .avi .mpeg ... VLC media player but digikam still gives the same error.
> When i start digikam from the command line i get this error :
> Cannot load metadata using Exiv2  (/home/catweazle/... .mpeg: The file
> contains data of an unknown image type)
> Same for .MOV or .mov extentions.

These warnings/errors can be ignored
(exiv2 just does not know about these).

> These files can normally be opened from
> nautilus with vlc and other players.

I just tried it with a .avi on my installation.
Interestingly, with konquerer noatun is used
to display the video externally.

For digikam, the video is displayed inside of the view.
On the command-line one gets the message:

digikam: Search a KPart to preview MVI_1865.AVI (video/x-msvideo)
digikam: Find KPart library libkaboodlepart

Do you see something similar?

Gilles, does digikam respect the kcontrol settings,
or can one configure the player for videos somewhere
inside of digikam?
(I did not find anything ...)

Best, Arnd