[Digikam-users] Digikam not playing video

cotcot nick.alderweireldt at linux.be
Sat Jan 5 14:44:47 GMT 2008

Bugzilla from arnd.baecker at web.de wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, cotcot wrote:
>
>> I am running digikam 0.9.2 in ubuntu gytsy with the kipi plugins.
>> When i click on a icon of a video (mpeg, avi, mov ..) i get the message
>> 'no
>> media player available'.
>> What is wrong ?
>> I cannot find in the configuration option any tool to point to a player
>> for
>> these mime types. Or does this only work for a KDE environment ?
>
> You might have to use
>   kcontrol
> on the command line to specify a player for the KDE environment.
> Your problem should not be specific to digikam,
> i.e., for example for konquerer you should get the same.
> (Note that I don't use KDE myself, but FVWM, and here
> it works ...;-)
>
> HTH, Arnd

Thanks for replying.
I installed kcontrol. I guess that the player is to be specified under
KDEcomponents --> File associations --> video ? I have put there on top for
.avi .mpeg ... VLC media player but digikam still gives the same error.
When i start digikam from the command line i get this error :
Cannot load metadata using Exiv2  (/home/catweazle/... .mpeg: The file
contains data of an unknown image type)
Same for .MOV or .mov extentions. These files can normally be opened from
nautilus with vlc and other players.