[Digikam-users] linking instead of copying

Eddie Armstrong eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 5 13:53:17 GMT 2008

Chris G wrote:
> I was always very clear that this was so, it was a *major* plus for
> me, it makes so much more sense when the program's way of showing
> things reflects reality on the computer.

by calling directories 'albums'
> .... except they're directories!  :-)    For me 'folders' is a Windows
> way of looking at things and continues the (stupid IMHO) pretence that
> your computer's screen is remotely like a Desktop and a filin

I know - they were directories in DOS/Win before MS called them folders
- I think you just demonstrated another reason why they shouldn't be
called albums.
I know that this is ingrained in Digikam and seems immutable but (and
this is, it seems, only my opinion) calling directories 'Albums' is poor
usability.
When photographers deal with 'albums' in so many contexts it doesn't
make sense to add another one - especially when they could be called
directories and 'My Albums' used for Virtual albums.
Adding another Tab page to My Albums so we can see My Files (or
whatever), which is the files on the HDD and where My Albums was a
virtual representation of 'Albums' created by the user. Such albums may
well be the result of tag searches or otherwise defined - but this would
be a place to store e.g., family albums, albums of a shoot for
customers, albums for projects 'Wildlife ' etc.
Thus retaining the albums concept and clarifying when you are acting on
real files.
Anyway, it was just an idea - I think it more user-friendly, newbie
friendly, more professional and more accurately reflects the way people
think about these things.
Digikam is great and I look forward to the future of it but this will
always be an issue with me.
Eddie