[Digikam-users] linking instead of copying

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 5 12:56:47 GMT 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:04:53AM +0100, Gerhard Kulzer wrote:

> > > So whats wrong with links or aliases?
> >
> > I thought this might not make sense - what I meant was, delete a
> > reference to an object (a link) and have to delete the object itself
> > (the file/ directory) specifically.
> >
> > I don't think you should expose your files to the ambiguity of calling
> > actual 'directories' something else- it is easy to forget what an
> > 'album' is - especially when other programs - and the rest of the world
> > - uses this term differently.
> >
> > Eddie
>
> Gilles and Eddie,
> I propose to add a statement to the welcome page (Album root) that makes clear
> that Albums are a representation of folders. This is the page that is
> probably read by everyone starting to work with digiKam.

I was always very clear that this was so, it was a *major* plus for
me, it makes so much more sense when the program's way of showing
things reflects reality on the computer.

> "digiKam is a photo management program for the K Desktop Environment. It is
> designed to import, organize, improve and export your digital photographs on
> your computer.
> You are currently in the Album view mode of digiKam. The Albums are the real
> containers where your files are stored, they are identical with the folders
> on disk."

.... except they're directories!  :-)    For me 'folders' is a Windows
way of looking at things and continues the (stupid IMHO) pretence that
your computer's screen is remotely like a Desktop and a filing
cabinet.

Computers are *not* desks with drawers in and treating them as such
loses a lot of their power.

--
Chris Green