[Digikam-users] (OT: HD Crash) Success: compile problems

Jakob Oestergaard joe at evalesco.com
Fri Feb 22 11:59:59 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:27:42AM +0100, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> My problems with disk crashes are less the data files (which are quite easy to
> organize and back-up) but all those "millions" of settings that are lost and
> must be retyped (and re-found!), like saved passwords, e-mail, attached
> devices, printers, look and feel, menus, setting up Apache, MySQL, php, LAN
> and, and, and... And with every new system many of those settings have new
> names, are in another program, config-files are different, use other
> folders...
>
> If someone would find out a back-up tool that saves these things with the
> possibility to restore on a new replacement system, well that would be a real
> gold mine :-)

*All* your user configuration is in your home directory. End of story.  If you
back up your home directory, you back up your settings.

Any backup tool will do that.

As for your Apache/MySQL/php/... setup, well, most well behaved server software
has its config in /etc, and backing that up isn't difficult either.

If all else fails, backing up all local filesystems on the server will store
all local settings - I do this on servers that matter, works like a charm :)

--
Best regards,
   Jakob Østergaard Hegelund