[Digikam-users] (OT: HD Crash) Success: compile problems

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Fri Feb 22 08:27:42 GMT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 17.01:51 schrieb Arnd Baecker:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> > Well, not so frustrating like having the system disk crash...
>
> Actually, you may find Gerhard's text on DAM
>   http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=DigikamDAM
>   http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Digikam+DAM2

Gerhard pointed at the same article updated here :
http://www.gerhard.fr/DAM/index.html

> interesting (or frightening, or both).
> So the probability to have a disk crash is essentially 100%,
> the only question is "when?"

Maybe 30 years ago I have seen a harddisk (24", 5MB ? something like this:
http://www.news.com/2300-1010_3-6031405-3.html?tag=ne.gall.pg ) flying out of
its case and punch through one of those dividing walls in a open-plan office.
Since then I have seen many (less spectacular) disk crashes and back-ups are
a matter of course for me.

> (Hmm, maybe this would make a good login message:
> "Your hard-disks may fail today, do you have a backup?")

My problems with disk crashes are less the data files (which are quite easy to
organize and back-up) but all those "millions" of settings that are lost and
must be retyped (and re-found!), like saved passwords, e-mail, attached
devices, printers, look and feel, menus, setting up Apache, MySQL, php, LAN
and, and, and... And with every new system many of those settings have new
names, are in another program, config-files are different, use other
folders...

If someone would find out a back-up tool that saves these things with the
possibility to restore on a new replacement system, well that would be a real
gold mine :-)

regards

Daniel
erotic art photos: http://www.bauer-nudes.com/en/linux.html