[Digikam-users] (OT: HD Crash) Success: compile problems

hex hex at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 22:30:42 GMT 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008 11:59:59 Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:27:42AM +0100, Daniel Bauer wrote:
>
> > My problems with disk crashes are less the data files (which are quite
> > easy to organize and back-up) but all those "millions" of settings that
> > are lost and must be retyped (and re-found!), like saved passwords,
> > e-mail, attached devices, printers, look and feel, menus, setting up
> > Apache, MySQL, php, LAN and, and, and... And with every new system many
> > of those settings have new names, are in another program, config-files
> > are different, use other folders...

been there - got the T-shirt!  :)

> > If someone would find out a back-up tool that saves these things with the
> > possibility to restore on a new replacement system, well that would be a
> > real gold mine :-)
>
> *All* your user configuration is in your home directory. End of story.  If
> you back up your home directory, you back up your settings.
>
> Any backup tool will do that.

Thanks for the tip on user settings - would that be *all* directories
beginning with a . (full stop/period)?  At the moment I've just been
doing .kde and subdirectories as I have a load of data directories on my home
directory that get backed up to CD/DVD as and when needed!  Also if you're
looking for an offsite/online option I've been using this:

http://www.perfectbackup.co.uk/products

for the past month or so and am quite impressed. You get 1Gb (approx 3Gb after
compression) free for life - and seems to work with most flavours of Linux -
does on Kubuntu 7.10 anyways!  ;-) - it just runs silently in the background
doing the backups you specify at the times you specify - you can of course
PAY for more space if you need it ;( - but that seems to be plenty for Linux
user settings etc