[Digikam-users] Beta1 for Digikam 0.10.0 ?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:01:10 GMT 2008

2008/2/20, Julien Narboux <Julien at narboux.fr>:

> Hi all,
>
> This list of new features is impressive ! thanks for the good work.
>
> By the way concerning GPS, does the database (in Digikam 0.10) contains
> a field to represent the precision of the GPS data ?

yes, as a floating point value.

I think it would be usefull, let me explain why:
> If you localize the picture using google maps at a large zoom : for
> instance you localize a picture using the full world view, you just
> click on one country lets say "france". If you zoom on france it does
> not make sense to display this picture somewhere in france because that
> position will be more or less a "random position".
>
> I think database should contain the information that a picture is
> located at position x, y, z at precision p meters.
> If p is larger than a few pixels at current zoom level then the picture
> tag should not be displayed at this zoom level.
>
> If you think it makes sense I can add this as a wish.

No need for the moment. This is exactly what i would to do with marble.

To have contacted lead marble developper by irc, the current version of
marble widget shared as lib is not yet ready to use  with digiKam. I need to
wait next stable release planed for KDE 4.1

But i have aready extracted the source code from digiKam core where marble
widget need to be included. One c++ file need to be changed for that to use
marble  as GPS map browser (not search tool yet)

In 0.10, you will see a new GPS side bar tab on the right. This is where
marble will be used. The old GPS tab from metadata  sidebar as deseapear.
Why ?  because, GPS  info are hosted by DB for all items, including read
only files. GPS info continu to be written to RW file format of course, but
GPS info are become main informations, not only a simple metadata included
in files.

 Best

Gilles