[Digikam-users] Digikam IPTC

michael hughes leftbrainorama at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:01:07 GMT 2008

Thank you for your sensitive and intelligent reply and for your offer of
help. I don't mind a fight, in fact I sometimes enjoy it. The email that
started all this, in case you haven't actually seen it, here it is;

Hallo everybody,

I probably won't make myself very popular with this but here goes. I am a
professional photographer working in Berlin. I previously used macs up to
system 9 and windows xp. I am a freelancer so I have to look after myself by
and large when things go wrong. I decided to check out Linux using the CT
package after I had a head crash on my laptop and needed to install a
system. Naturally I am interested in finding an alternative to Photoshop and
Lightroom as highest priority and thought that with Ubuntu Linux had finally
got near enough to be useful to me. Generally speaking Digikam is very good
apart from the backwood aesthetics of penguins peering cheerily over
cameras, which I can frankly live without.

My main problem is the IPTC. I still have not found a way to coherently work
with this despite having spent six weeks on and off with the problem. It
begins with the preferences; you have to switch IPTC on. This is for me the
first major "policy statement". As a professional I could just about accept
that you could switch IPTC off but as a default this is just not serious. I
now find bits of information (the copyright details in prefs) in the IPTC
but am not quite sure how they got there. Captions have appeared from photos
which already had captions after being imported into Digikam. Using Tags I
have still not found an intuitive way of adding information. Maybe I just
have a blind spot - if so then tell me what I am doing wrong. Until then I
have to reiterate that Lightzone still is the more mature product

regards,

Michael Hughes

I really don't think this is "trolling", nor do I find it rude. I am
english, living in Germany with a german wife and a kid that goes to an
american school. I speak three languages and travel extensively all over the
world. To refer to cultural insensitivity is a laugh. Oh and by the way I am
having therapy and the guy is very good.

Michael

visit my web site at www.hughes-photography.eu