[Digikam-users] GPS Logger

Caspar Maessen cmaessen at casco.demon.nl
Sat Oct 27 01:03:23 BST 2007

Op vrijdag 26 oktober 2007, schreef Arnd Baecker:

  > No, this is not my statement; gpsbabel does no support the DG100
  > (which would be nice BTW....)
This is true for at least version 1.3.3 (tried it from the SuSE
repositories), and for version 1.3.4. as well I suppose. Didn't try it,
but the changes log on the website makes no mention of the DG-100.

  > I use
  >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/dg100util/
  > """
Stumbled on this util before, searching the net for a solution. The
java-thing scared me off. Nevertheless I gave it a try, but no luck for
now.

Searched the net some more, and found this weblog, which told me that
the cvs-version of gpsbabel supports the DG-100.
http://pjvenda.blogspot.com/2007/09/my-new-toy-globalsat-dg-100-gps-data.html

So I checked out the cvs-repository of the projects website and compiled
it. On the website of gpsbabel you can find some hints.

After taken care of the permissions of /dev/ttyUSB0
>sudo chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB0

the command
>gpsbabel -i dg-100,erase=0 -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F ~/latest-dump.gpx
gave me exactly the file as needed by digikam.

The thing still to do is making a udev-rule that takes care of the
permissions of the device-file when plugging in the DG-100.

Arnd, thanks for the time spent. I hope that with this reply I'm of help
for you too.

Caspar.