[Digikam-users] GPS Logger

Caspar Maessen cmaessen at casco.demon.nl
Fri Oct 26 19:27:29 BST 2007

Arnd,

in this thread you wrote a few things I would like to react upon.

  >   http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Digikam+Geolocalization
Opening this link gives me an error.

  > Personally, I have the DG-100 and am very happy with it,
  > in particular, because it is supported under Linux.
Following this advice I ordered one from Expansys. € 87,47 including VAT
and shipping, and delivered within 24 hours.

  > Digikam uses the gpx format. For the DG-100 the above
  > software generates this from the stored track
  > (globalsat was so kind to release the specifications after my
  > request ;-); however the DG-100 does not store the NMEA log (which
  > for example normally contains other useful information,
  > like the number of satellites found and the signal quality,
  > as far as I know).
  > In any case, gpsbabel is able to convert from almost any
  > interesting format to gpx.
Based on this comnment I assume that you use gpsbabel to download the
data from the device. I had a go with it, but without any luck. I'm
lost in the parameters and options the program needs. On the net I
didn't find any further reference.

The device is connected to /dev/ttyUSB0. I changed the permission to the
device from:
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 okt 26 18:08 /dev/ttyUSB0
to:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 188, 0 okt 26 18:08 /dev/ttyUSB0

I tried:
gpsbabel -i gpx -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F test.gpx
and:
gpsbabel -i nmea -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F test.gpx

Both didn't work.

Arnd, perhaps you can give me your setup i.e. the commandline you use?

Furthermore I am curious how you configure the device. Do you use
gpsbabel as well? If so, in what way?

Thanks for your efforts,

Caspar.