[Digikam-users] GIMP and Photoshop Continued...

Graham large.bopper at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 12:27:48 BST 2007

I thought people would like to know what I have found out.....so here's
an update.

GIMPshop is an attempt to restructure the menus and interface of The
GIMP to make it more Photoshop-like, however it doesn't set itself up
as another Photoshop clone.  It does have some interesting benefits,
though, such as the ability to set up Photoshop plug-ins and because
the menus are (mostly) set up to resemble those in Photoshop, its a
breeze to follow tutorials in digital photography magazines.  The
downside for digiKam users is that the GIMP's native file format (.xcf)
is still the default as this format allows easy export of images
with layers, yet it isn't supported in digiKam.

Will digiKam be recognising .xcf files?  I hope so....

GIMPshop can be obtained from http://www.gimpshop.com

Books:

1. "GIMP 2 For Photographers" by Klaus Goelker Published by Rocky Nook
ISBN 1-933952-03-2

This 183-page book with accompanying CD can be regarded both as a
'Beginner's Guide To The GIMP' and 'An Introduction to Advanced
Techniques of Image Manipulation With The GIMP', and is an essential
resources for any one who uses The GIMP.  Although the functions are
well-described and evolve from the author's class materials teaching
Photography and The GIMP in Germany, for the really serious user, they
tend to be without depth.

But, if you want to know more about the GIMP and cannot grasp the
various concepts used, this is essential reading.

2. "Beginning GIMP: From Novice To Professional" by Akkana Peck
Published by Apress. ISBN No. 1-59059-587-4

This is a weighty tome at 528 pages and has the interesting motto on
the cover "Based on the latest GIMP 2.4 release" (I can't find ANY GIMP
2.4 release even on the GIMP website.....).

Illustrated throughout with graphics that really do make more of the
text, this is nevertheless an in-depth look at GIMP's many
capabilities.  Written in an approachable style, it is nevertheless
another of those open-source tomes that give you too much too quickly
that make you feel like you're wading through it.  In fact, there are
two books here, 'GIMP for Artists' and 'GIMP for Photographers', and it
would have been better as two publications.

However, if you want to get a deep explanation of the capabilities of
The GIMP, this is the book for you (it even shows you how to write
scripts....).

I can't give costs for these, because I bought seconhand copies on eBay
where you might look....

Hope this is of help for any photographers who want to get into image
manipulation with the GIMP.
- --

Graham