[Digikam-users] What is the best way to rotate images?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Jan 18 21:04:48 GMT 2007

> My camera doesn't record orientation automatically so any photos I take in
> portrait view are always displayed in landscape. I want to change them all
> to the correct view permanently so they display correctly whatever program
> I open them with. They are a mix of jpeg and fuji raw (.raf).
>
> I can see two rotate commands in digikam; Image > rotate, and Image >
> Correct exif orientation tag. I remember there was another method in v8,
> 'lossless jpeg transformation' but although I have the kipi plugin for
> that selected I don't see it in the menus in v9.
>
> What I want is to permanently rotate the image with no loss in image
> quality.

Anything accessible from main window is lossless.

Image -> Rotate is the kipi plugin. It works only for JPEGs, but it rotates
the actual image data. It works for any application that loads the image.
Image ->Correct exif orientation tag sets the exif info, like some cameras do
it when the orientation is set manually. The image data is not changed, the
image is rotated after loading. This just changes a few bytes in the image,
but needs to be supported by the loading application.