[Digikam-users] Blueish tint in low saturation images converted to CMYK

Ari El ari.reads at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 06:13:53 GMT 2007

Hi, I post this here because I'm not sure if what I found is a bug or not.

This is with Digikam 0.9.0 final.

This is the scenario: I start with an sRGB JPEG image with very low
saturation (looks nearly B&W). Open it in image editor, then save it as is
as TIFF (8 bits, no compression).

Open the tiff in Krita or in Photoshop. Convert to CMYK. Voila, looks
blueish.

Now: open the original JPEG directly with Krita (or photoshop). Save as tiff
(RGB, 8 bits, no compression). Now reopen the tiff in Krita/PS and convert
it to CMYK. Voila, looks nice, no blueish tint.

I run into this issue the hard way, after carefully preparing my images and
then importing them to my Lab's  print order management application, that
does some 'softproofing' that actually smells and behaves like CMYK
conversion. All my carefully digikam-processed images were blueish!!

With Nikon D80-generated sRGB JPGs, Krita tiffs, Photoshop tiffs, look nice
in this app. Digikam tiffs look blueish, totally different from what digikam
shows. Maybe a color-profile-related problem?

My workaround is: generate the tiffs with Krita, then continue the workflow
on digikam. Seems to work fine (will confirm when the prints are
delivered...)

Anyone else ran into this?