[Digikam-users] LCD for photos

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Mon Apr 16 09:52:54 BST 2007

On Montag, 16. April 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I took a USB drive with some photos to Bug, a local computer chain.
> The only CRT they had, a Viewpro 20" made much better pictures than
> even their most expensive LCD. That convinced me: I'll save some money
> and trade desktop space for a CRT when I next buy. The current LCD's
> are good compared to the old, but CRT's are still much better for
> photos.
>
> Note, for reading text I do prefer my laptops LCD to the desktop's
> CRT. But for photos it won't do.
>
> Dotan Cohen

This is somehow true and somehow not... There are quite cheap CRTs giving good
color quality, but there are also CRTs showing such disgusting results that
even the cheapest LCD is better. On the other hand there are LCDs having such
a restricted viewing angle that you would have to fix your head with screws
to always look on the screen from the exact same angle...

There are now professional high-end LCDs available that can be calibrated
perfectly, but they are at the same prices as the CRTs were, when there still
were CRTs :-)

(3-5000 Swiss Francs... look here
http://www.lb-ag.ch/news/digital/Quato/ip230E/index.html )

If you don't want (or like me: can't) afford such a piece of excellence you
must simply go and look at the available monitors. Take a CD with you with a
color chart and a photo you know how it should look and let the seller
display it. Move it to all the edges and positions of the screen (you will
wonder how much difference there can be depending on the position on the
screen...). Try it with different ambient light (in different shops...).

I think technology goes on so very fast and brands change their suppliers
(where they buy the LCD or CRT etc.) so often that in the "economy class" you
can't rely on infos that are not absolutely up-to-date (if monitor A was ways
better than monitor B 3 month ago, it can absolutely be vice-versa right now
and change to the contrary in short again...).

As you will have to look at your screen (hopefully) for years, I think its
worthwhile to take your time and look around personally and carefully...

Good luck!

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch