[Digikam-users] LCD for photos

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:18:52 BST 2007

2007/4/16, Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com>:

> On Montag, 16. April 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I took a USB drive with some photos to Bug, a local computer chain.
> > The only CRT they had, a Viewpro 20" made much better pictures than
> > even their most expensive LCD. That convinced me: I'll save some money
> > and trade desktop space for a CRT when I next buy. The current LCD's
> > are good compared to the old, but CRT's are still much better for
> > photos.
> >
> > Note, for reading text I do prefer my laptops LCD to the desktop's
> > CRT. But for photos it won't do.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> This is somehow true and somehow not... There are quite cheap CRTs giving
> good
> color quality, but there are also CRTs showing such disgusting results
> that
> even the cheapest LCD is better. On the other hand there are LCDs having
> such
> a restricted viewing angle that you would have to fix your head with
> screws
> to always look on the screen from the exact same angle...
>
> There are now professional high-end LCDs available that can be calibrated
> perfectly, but they are at the same prices as the CRTs were, when there
> still
> were CRTs :-)
>
> (3-5000 Swiss Francs... look here
> http://www.lb-ag.ch/news/digital/Quato/ip230E/index.html )
>
> If you don't want (or like me: can't) afford such a piece of excellence
> you
> must simply go and look at the available monitors. Take a CD with you with
> color chart and a photo you know how it should look and let the seller
> display it. Move it to all the edges and positions of the screen (you will
> wonder how much difference there can be depending on the position on the
> screen...). Try it with different ambient light (in different shops...).
>
> I think technology goes on so very fast and brands change their suppliers
> (where they buy the LCD or CRT etc.) so often that in the "economy class"
> you
> can't rely on infos that are not absolutely up-to-date (if monitor A was
> ways
> better than monitor B 3 month ago, it can absolutely be vice-versa right
> now
> and change to the contrary in short again...).
>
> As you will have to look at your screen (hopefully) for years, I think its
> worthwhile to take your time and look around personally and carefully...
>
> Good luck!
>
> Daniel

Remember than CRT will be an obsolete technology in a near future. All
screens production will be remplaced by LCD.

The problem of screen with photo is to have the most large gamut to render
properlly all colors from images. Its exactly the same problem with TV LCD
screen. With some movies, you can see than the high color are overburned.
This give a poor color quality rendering.

The next generation of LCD will provide better gamut than current LCD.
Promise technology are LED-LCD for example (named SED in the past by Sony,
now renamed FED).

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/articles/archive/c0505/26c05/26c05.pdf

The advantage of computer between TV stuff is to have Color Management rule
to adapt automaticly the image color to the screen gamut.

If you want the better render of colors on your screen, calibrate your
screen under Win32, get the ICC color profile generated, and set digiKam to
use it like Monitor color profile in Color Management setup. Of course, you
need to buy a color calibration device for that.

Gilles