[Digikam-users] Help finding thumbnail cache settings?

Dennis Meulensteen dennis at meulensteen.nl
Wed Sep 27 12:46:56 BST 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 13:35, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I know that thumbs are generated by KDE somehow,
>
> Digikam uses its own thumbnail ioslave, but uses the common storage.
>
> > but can anyone tell me
> > where to increase the thumbnail cache size? Everytime I scroll through my
> > collection the thumbnails get regenerated and this slows down DigiKam too
> > much for my taste. I'd gladly dedicate 25% of my HD space just to thumbs,
> > if only I could find out how!
>
> The thumbs are generated, stored in ~/.thumbnails and not deleted at any
> limit.
That's good news!

> So this happens only the very first time a thumbnail is needed.
understood.

> Each time digikam is loaded, the thumbnail files (.png) need to be loaded
> of course. This is probably what you are experiencing?
Sure, there's a delay, but it's not a problem.

> For drawing, digikam uses an internal cache of 100 pixmaps, so the last 100
> are displayed without any loading.
This could be what I'm seeing! Is this setting configurable at all or can I
simply find it in the code and change it before compiling? Maybe I need more
RAM so the system can buffer the pixmaps.. I have 512Mb now. I don't get much
swapping, but buffers get eaten into regularly.

Dennis