[Digikam-users] Help finding thumbnail cache settings?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 12:35:19 BST 2006

> Hi,
> I know that thumbs are generated by KDE somehow,

Digikam uses its own thumbnail ioslave, but uses the common storage.

> but can anyone tell me
> where to increase the thumbnail cache size? Everytime I scroll through my
> collection the thumbnails get regenerated and this slows down DigiKam too
> much for my taste. I'd gladly dedicate 25% of my HD space just to thumbs,
> if only I could find out how!

The thumbs are generated, stored in ~/.thumbnails and not deleted at any
limit.
So this happens only the very first time a thumbnail is needed.

Each time digikam is loaded, the thumbnail files (.png) need to be loaded of
course. This is probably what you are experiencing?
For drawing, digikam uses an internal cache of 100 pixmaps, so the last 100
are displayed without any loading.

Marcel