[Digikam-users] digikam crash with SiPix Snap USB / both 0.80 and 0.81

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Mon Sep 18 18:39:38 BST 2006

Dear listmembers,
thanks to Marcel's help I found out that the problem is definitively due to
the camera I have.

I can download the pictures, with gphoto2 and "file" says that the pictures
were jpegs, but trying to load them with any program reading jpegs fails
entirely.

Digikam is using gphoto2 to download pictures from the camera as I was told.
The question is whether there is any good reason for digikam to crash in case
gphoto2 is crashing. I haven't been building digikam-0.9 so far, but I would
guess that this behaviour did not change from 0.8 to 0.9.

IMHO failures of subprocesses should be caught and the output of the
subprocess should show in some window or whatever rather than bringing the
main application to crash. So, if anyone finds the time to look into the
error recovery behaviour of digikam in case that gphoto2 returns an error, it
would be nice to prevent gphoto2 from killing digikam.

Moreover, maybe it would be an idea to allow the user to simply download a
file by some option, using the corresponding call parameter to gphoto2
without interpreting the data in advance. This would let you check whether
such issues occur - addmittedly rare circumstance, but anyway.

And, thanks again to Marcel who had put me on the right track.

Just my 2 cent here ...
Take care

Dieter Jurzitza

Am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 18:38 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:
> Am Freitag 15 September 2006 17:24 schrieb Dieter Jurzitza:
> > Dear listmembers,
> > my son recently got a SiPix Snap USB camera. It is immediatly detected by
*****

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)