[Digikam-users] One photo in several albums

Daniel Seifert dseifert at gmx.de
Fri Sep 15 18:24:29 BST 2006

Hi,

I am currently using iPhoto (an import functionality would be great!)
and really like iPhoto's concept of having only links to a photo in an
album. This allows me to have - for example - one album with ALL photos
of my vacation (album A), and another album with only a select number of
photos (for showing to other people) (album B).

digikam's definition of an album varies significantly (in regards to
this feature) from iTunes'. Using digikam albums, I would have to have
the photos in album B as duplicates of the same ones in album A. This
increases hard disk usage and it's nearly impossible to keep the photos
in sync (tags, changes, etc).

The current approach with digikam I am looking at is to use tags (e.g.
give all photos in album A the tag "Vacation XYZ complete" and give
those photos who are also in album B the tag "Vacation XYZ
presentation"). This would allow to simulate what I want to do quite
nicely.

If there is no other solution, the tag approach is something I could
live with. So here's the challenge to you - is there any better way of
doing this?

Daniel