[Digikam-users] profiles & better profiles for Canon...

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sun Nov 19 07:03:01 GMT 2006

Le samedi 18 novembre 2006 18:23, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm going my first steps on 0.9svn, found a lot of things I liked (and
> wished), but as the human beeing I am I start with what I miss ;-)
>
> One of the most important things (for me) are those icc profiles.
>
> 1) How does somebody find out, where to find/get those profiles? I haven't
> found a hint in the documentation or on the digikam.org site (but to be
> honest, I haven't searched very serious - so if it's somewhere, please tell
> me)

> 2) Shouldn't there be a set of "standard profiles" (at least wideGamut, RGB
> and SRGB plus some Camer-spezific ones) delivered together with digikam,
> paced in a default directory with the install? Or are there legal issues
> that prohibit this?

On my computer (Mandriva 2007), digiKam profiles are installed at this place :

/usr/share/apps/digikam/profiles

> 3) I've downloaded the profiles from bibble. But there is not one
> Canon-Profile that really satisfies. Most of them produce too dark images
> and all of them produce a very bad contrast compared to the results of
> Canon Software.

Contrast is not relevant directly of color space. In Color Management plugin
dialog, you have a settting to set contrast  and luminosity curve adjustment
of target image. Have you tried ?

> In fact I have not found a Canon-profile yet I could use
> for my professional work...
>
> Are there some other Canon Profiles around somewhere I could test (for me:
> CR2 / Canon Eos 20D)?

Try this one with your camera :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/EOS-10D-linear.icc

> Finally: I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me, that the previews in
> the "apply profiles"-dialog do not match the result you get after saying
> ok. This makes it difficult to find out what profiles should be applied...

Witch dialog exactly ? the Color Management plugin dialog, or the Color
correction dialog ?