[Digikam-users] profiles & better profiles for Canon...

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sun Nov 19 11:14:51 GMT 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 08:03, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le samedi 18 novembre 2006 18:23, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> > 1) How does somebody find out, where to find/get those profiles? I
> > haven't found a hint in the documentation or on the digikam.org site (but
> > to be honest, I haven't searched very serious - so if it's somewhere,
> > please tell me)
> >
> > 2) Shouldn't there be a set of "standard profiles" (at least wideGamut,
> > RGB and SRGB plus some Camer-spezific ones) delivered together with
> > digikam, paced in a default directory with the install? Or are there
> > legal issues that prohibit this?
>
> On my computer (Mandriva 2007), digiKam profiles are installed at this
> place :
>
> /usr/share/apps/digikam/profiles

ok, I found them in /share/apps/digikam/profiles/ within my svn-directory.

Would it be possible to set the according directory (dpending on the
configure/install destination) as the default?

Or to add a text something like "per default they are
in /share/apps/digikam/profiles/ within your install directory eg. /usr
or /opt/kde3 or your configure-prefix" to the context-help. Or explain it in
the documentation and refer to this in the context help?

> > 3) I've downloaded the profiles from bibble. But there is not one
> > Canon-Profile that really satisfies. Most of them produce too dark images
> > and all of them produce a very bad contrast compared to the results of
> > Canon Software.
>
> Contrast is not relevant directly of color space. In Color Management
> plugin dialog, you have a settting to set contrast  and luminosity curve
> adjustment of target image. Have you tried ?

I seem to be blind somehow, I can't find this...
Can you tell me where these settings are?
(I finally found out how I can start digikam in english, so that I will better
understand in future.)

> > Are there some other Canon Profiles around somewhere I could test (for
> > me: CR2 / Canon Eos 20D)?
>
> Try this one with your camera :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/CameraProfiles/EOS-10D-linear.ic

I'll try this one later, when I know about where to set the "contrast  and
luminosity curve adjustment of target image".

> > Finally: I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me, that the previews in
> > the "apply profiles"-dialog do not match the result you get after saying
> > ok. This makes it difficult to find out what profiles should be
> > applied...
>
> Witch dialog exactly ? the Color Management plugin dialog, or the Color
> correction dialog ?

I'll also come back to this later, see above.

Have a nice sunday.

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch