[Digikam-users] Whoa.. MRW -> JPG is impressive

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sat May 13 11:35:17 BST 2006

Le Samedi 13 Mai 2006 10:49, Duncan Hill a écrit :
> Gilles et al,
>
> The work to make digiKam support (Minolta) RAW files is impressive.
> I've just converted a sample shot from MRW to JPG, and the level of
> detail that gets transferred in the Exif data is wonderful.  The lens
> detection makes me a very very happy person :)
>
> I use Gallery 1 for my gallery, with a hack to use ExifTool to show the
> Exif data (the original G1 code checked for extension only!), and
> everything I could ever want is showing.
>
> I take it PNGs will have the same level of metadata support before 1.0?

Yes. All Exif and IPTC data are recorded into PNG raw text profiles  to store
metadata byte arrays like ImageMagick do.

> :)  I did a conversion to PNG as well, but showfoto and digikam both
>
> reported no exif data.

From main interface, when you select a fresh MRW->PNG file converted, normally
you must see Exif and Makernote data in sidebar (if you have enable ICC color
management the ICC workspace profile is embeded into file now). Here, all
work fine. I convert all my MRW files in PNG now. Of course PNG file size is
more important than MRW, but time loading is very small into editor !

Are you used last svn source code (Exiv2 and digiKam) ?

Gilles