[Digikam-users] Digikam withoout KDE - questions

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Dec 5 21:03:53 GMT 2006

Le mardi 5 décembre 2006 21:47, cl at isbd.net a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 09:23:01PM +0100, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> > Le mardi 5 décembre 2006 21:20, cl at isbd.net a écrit :
> > > I have ImagePlugin_Core in Imageplugins and 16 plugins (including KIPI
> > > JPEG lossless plugin) in KIPI Plugins.  However I still can't rotate
> > > pictures by right clicking on them, there's no Rotate option in the
> > > menu that appears.
> >
> > This option have been removed for context menu to reduce entries. This is
> > a query ask by digiKam users.
> >
> > The option is always avaialble on "Image" menu of Album GUI.
>
> That makes rotating images very clumsy though, one wants to rotate the
> thumbnail while looking at that view.

This is the experience of digiKam users, reported like a wishes on bugzilla
with a popular vote... digiKam try to respect the users choises when if
possible, especially about usability. Provide a clean interface is a
priority. We _won't_ reproduce the "usine à gaz" gimp interface here.

There is another file in bugzilla to personalize indeep the thumbs context
menu. Take a look and vote...

> Also I can't find a Rotate in
> the Image menu, what's there is the "Correct Exif Orientation Tag",
> the Rotate is only in the Transform menu of the Image Editor.

no, the option must be avaialble if the jpeglossless kipi-plugin is properlly
installed and loaded at startup. start digiKam on a console and look if you
have something like that :

KIPI (loading): Plugin_JPEGLossless plugin loaded
KIPI (loading): KIPI::PluginLoader: Loaded plugin JPEGLossless

If no, check your digiKam installation and read the README file before to
compile and install using source code.

If you have used, a package, report the problem on packager. We are
developpers, not packagers...

> So, to rotate an image one has to open it up in the Image Editor and
> then rotate it there.  The documentation says there's an easier way by
> right clicking on the thumbnail

The documentation is not yet updated completly... I'm currently working on,
but i can't do at all...

> , are you really saying this has been
> removed?

Yes. I'm sure. I'm a developper from digiKam team... I have fixed _personnaly_
this point on the implementation...