[Digikam-users] Re: Some thoughts about digiKam

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 13 21:37:02 BST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:

>> go to settings->General-> show items in sub-tags (check this) and
>> it will behave as you expected.
>
> All right, it works.  However, it would be even more nice to switch
> this behavior faster, like a togglebutton.  The problem is, that
> sometimes the list could become _very_ large.

in the experimental branch, there will no longer be an option for this,
i.e. it will always be enabled. the list growing too large is not a
concern, as the thumbnail loading has been optimized to keep only a
limited number of thumbnails in memory. And so you can have huge list of
items and not worry about memory consumption.

>> not currently. but its being worked on for the next release in
>> the experimental branch.
>
> Seems like I should give it a try.

the experimental branch is currently meant only for developers who are
working on it.

>> yes, we have considered using IPTC. but it has been pushed back
>> for a later release.
>
> For what reason?  Technical or only not enough developer?

not enough developers is always a concern. before iptc support can be
integrated with digikam, we need a library which can handle iptc, exif and
adobe xmp together. as currently no such library exists which can handle
all three, we will need to implement it ourselves.

>> btw, the experimental branch now allows
>> searching on image names, dates, captions, album names, caption,
>> collection and tag names.
>
> One more reason for testing.  Is it possible to save the
> searchresult or definition?

yes.

renchi