[Digikam-users] Re: Some thoughts about digiKam

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net
Sat Jun 18 15:20:55 BST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 22:37, Renchi Raju wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:
>
> > > not currently. but its being worked on for the next release in
> > > the experimental branch.
> >
> > Seems like I should give it a try.
>
> the experimental branch is currently meant only for developers
> who are working on it.

Nevertheless, I would like to test it out ;-)

> > > yes, we have considered using IPTC. but it has been pushed
> > > back for a later release.
> >
> > For what reason?  Technical or only not enough developer?
>
> not enough developers is always a concern. before iptc support
> can be integrated with digikam, we need a library which can
> handle iptc, exif and adobe xmp together. as currently no such
> library exists which can handle all three, we will need to
> implement it ourselves.

Well I think, exif and iptc would be enough for a start.  I haven't
seen much other programs using xmp so far.

Have you taken a look at the Exiv2-library
(http://home.arcor.de/ahuggel/exiv2/)?

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373