[Digikam-users] Re: Some thoughts about digiKam

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net
Mon Jun 13 21:31:28 BST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 21:55, Renchi Raju wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Renchi Raju wrote:
> > > I've tested hierarchical categories, but the selection does
> > > not recognize this.  Let's say, I have two images "img1.jpg"
> > > and "img2.jpg" and the following structure of categories:
> > >
> > >  foo
> > >  foo/bar_1
> > >  foo/bar_2
> > >
> > > img1.jpg belongs to foo/bar_1, while img2.jpg belongs to
> > > foo/bar_2. When I select only "foo", no image is displayed at
> > > all :-(
>
> go to settings->General-> show items in sub-tags (check this) and
> it will behave as you expected.

All right, it works.  However, it would be even more nice to switch
this behavior faster, like a togglebutton.  The problem is, that
sometimes the list could become _very_ large.

> > > Is there a way to search for images?  Like defining some
> > > categories, dates, ... and see the result?
>
> not currently. but its being worked on for the next release in
> the experimental branch.

Seems like I should give it a try.

> > > Have you considered to make use of the IPTC-fields?  As far as
> > > I can see, one can only assign "categories" in digiKam.  But
> > > IPTC offers some more fields types, like a title, a genre, a
> > > location or copyright information.  That would make searching
> > > a lot more efficient.
>
> yes, we have considered using IPTC. but it has been pushed back
> for a later release.

For what reason?  Technical or only not enough developer?

> btw, the experimental branch now allows
> searching on image names, dates, captions, album names, caption,
> collection and tag names.

One more reason for testing.  Is it possible to save the
searchresult or definition?

> what you are talking about is offline image support. we don't
> have that currently and most likely it won't be there in the next
> release. but we are thinking about it.

That sounds great!

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373