Test Data for DigiKam

Steven Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sat Sep 24 22:19:28 BST 2022

Hello,

In the interests of transparency, I have to say that I am unsure what to do.

My original impression was that the decision was made to separate test and
code and that the KDE sysadmins would have guidance on this.  That didn't turn
out as I had imagined.

After digging around a bit, my impression now is that the 7GB size of
digikam's git repo is the issue.  As far as I can tell, the only way to fix
that is to prune and re-write the repo.  That's not something I am highly
motivated to do.

Finally, I worry that separating data from code is going to place enough of a
barrier to running tests that fewer will do so.  Testing is fundamentally
important to me so this aspect is troubling.

I don't really understand why Digikam has a 7 GB repo -- when the source
tarball amounts to 300 MB (500 MB when unpacked).  I would speculate that
there were things added then deleted in the past?

Further, I wonder whether this can be handled more simply.  Atlassian [1] has
a few ideas -- and maybe a git shallow clone for developers would help?
Probably coupled with using GIT-LFS **in the main repo** for the large files.

[1] https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/big-repositories

So that's where I am.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

-Steve