Test Data for DigiKam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:56:32 BST 2022

Hi Steven,

Le sam. 24 sept. 2022 à 23:19, Steven Robbins <steve at sumost.ca> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> In the interests of transparency, I have to say that I am unsure what to do.
>
> My original impression was that the decision was made to separate test and
> code and that the KDE sysadmins would have guidance on this.  That didn't turn
> out as I had imagined.
>
> After digging around a bit, my impression now is that the 7GB size of
> digikam's git repo is the issue.  As far as I can tell, the only way to fix
> that is to prune and re-write the repo.  That's not something I am highly
> motivated to do.
>
> Finally, I worry that separating data from code is going to place enough of a
> barrier to running tests that fewer will do so.  Testing is fundamentally
> important to me so this aspect is troubling.
>
> I don't really understand why Digikam has a 7 GB repo -- when the source
> tarball amounts to 300 MB (500 MB when unpacked).  I would speculate that
> there were things added then deleted in the past?

Exactly. The huge deep learning model files were pushed in git repo by students.

Typically these files, downloadable at run time only now :

https://files.kde.org/digikam/facesengine/dnnface/
https://files.kde.org/digikam/facesengine/facenet_opencv_dnn/
https://files.kde.org/digikam/facesengine/shape-predictor/
https://files.kde.org/digikam/aestheticdetector/

Previously, these files were included in tarball too, This exploded
progressively the archive size. Files have been removed to prevent a
banning of the project from the Linux distro packaging workflow.

Best