[Digikam-devel] (Maybe) incorrect GUI message ("Supplication")

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun Mar 15 18:13:42 GMT 2015

Andrew Goodbody ha scritto:
> Well 'Supplication' is definitely very wrong. However I do not like
> 'Sublocation' either; although I could not say that it is wrong, it is quite a
> long way from the best word to use. Unfortunately I suspect that the best word
> to use may vary according to local usage. It is not clear to me from that code
> if it refers to something smaller than a city or larger than a city.

Sorry for the late answer. It seems that the naming is related to the IPTC
specifications, where "sublocation" is described as:
"Name of a sublocation the content is focussing on -- either the location
shown in visual media or referenced by text or audio media. This location name
could either be the name of a sublocatioto a city or the name of a well known
location or (natural) monument outside a city. In the sense of a sublocation
to a city this element is at the fourth level of a top-down geographical
hierarchy"

So smaller that a city, a specific place.

See: http://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata ,
page 18.

(Luckily it has been replaced by two other keys, "Location Created" and
"Location Shown").

> So 'Sublocation' may be an attempt at compromise but to me it is a compromise
> that suits no one. I would tentatively suggest 'District' but I may be trying
> to give a name to something that does not exist in my understanding.

So no District for sure. Given that this is the official name of a tag, I
would leave Sublocation. If you agree, I can push the change myself: which
branches?

Ciao
--
Luigi