[Digikam-devel] Batch Queue Manager

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 08:52:43 GMT 2013

2013/11/17 Yuri Samoilenko <kinnalru at gmail.com>:
> Hello.
>
> 2013/11/16 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
>>
>> 1. ...This option must go in "External Tools" ...
>

> ok
>

>> 2. "External Tools" settings view is not the right name. Action
>>
>> performed by this view will be processed at end of queue. So for me
>> the term is not enough explicit for end users. I'm sure that nobody
>> will understand as well the purpose of this view. This is why it must
>> be renamed, and some tips must be written in a label in this view to
>> explain what's end users can do with it.
>

> I will glad to rename 'external tools', but I have a trouble with new
> name... If I undestood right you suggested to rename it to "External View"?
> When I selects the name I was inspired by Kate plugin "external tools", you
> can look at it in couple of first images:
> https://www.google.ru/search?q=kate+external+tools&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hm2IUqWhIKaK4AS2mIDIAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1866&bih=1038&dpr=0.9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=vSs6YDHs_uZJQM%3A%3B7jElwIRntJX6AM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tuxmachines.org%252Fimages%252Fgfkate%252Fkate2.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tuxmachines.org%252Fnode%252F13762%3B888%3B691

If you let "external Tools", user can ask why this option do not exist
for each item, as BQM tools...

BQM tools are DImg based to process image.
External tools are to process all files after queue processing.

So a new name must be found, as "Post-processing Tools" for example.

>> 3. ... The program, can be a binary or a script. In
>>
>> this view you force to use a script, by default as bash. And what's
>> about Windows where Batch shell script are used. In other words, you
>> need to write a GUI more universal where these information must be
>> show :
>>
>> - the path to the Program
>> - the name of the Program
>> - the description of the Program
>> - the arguments to pass to the Program.
>

> ok
>

>> ... Because, if i'm not to
>>
>> wrong, scripts will be hosted as external file in home directory.
>> Right ?...
>

> Some times it is too complex to host very simple script outside of 'usage
> point'. I think when I implement previous feature we will return to this :)
>

>  4. In your GUI, i recommend to propose a list of Programs available
>>
>> and ready to use. User will assign one Program to the queue, and that
>> all. The list can be stored in workflow XML file. Look how i do with
>> workflow list view (workflow name + description are displayed)...
>

> I can't understand... GUI already have a combobox to select a name from
> available items...

Perhaps i have not the last commit from you in dedicated branch.
Anyway, look my other mail about in this thread, especially about to
plug a new page in Setup dialog to host "external tools settings"

>>> What's the purpose of "Show in Context Menu" option ? Which menu is
>>> patched by your implementation ?
>
> The 'Edit' menu, near 'rename', and the DigikamImageView context menu, near
> 'rename'. I have done an ugly hack to get contexmenu updated from my GUI - I
> need help/explanation with right sollution.
> I think 'Show in Context Menu' is good feature - user can create custom
> postprocessing action and assign in to shortcut(Ctrl+Alt+A to archive all
> selected files).

Idem here. See my other mail about in this thread.